11.12.2011

I am made all things unto men.. too much

I've been having a stretching part of my life - I dislike the idea of describing difficult situations as "breaking points" or "breaking down" whenever something gets rough. I prefer to think of these kinds of situations as stretching moments. When the world would say that something should break my heart, I hope that I'm pliable enough for my heart to stretch, and make room for more love and more willingness to serve.
My struggle lately has been balancing my needs in my schoolwork with my growing responsibility as a teacher and as a Relief Society president. I'm not too important - I'm a pretty ordinary person born into an extraordinary life, who has a LOT of things to share with others who aren't as blessed. My wishes are simple, but kind of hard sometimes. I find them repeatedly in the words of the prophets: Hebrews 12:12-13, Ether 12:4, Philippians 1:7-11, Words of Mormon 1:7-8. I can't and won't profess to be at the same level as these amazing men, but my some of my desires are the same. Slowly and little by little, nothing else really seems to matter but helping others. But other things do matter - if I were perfect, perhaps I could do that, every day, but I'm learning the hard way that sometimes I need to work on things for myself before I can help others. That stinks.
In my reading this week, I've found that Paul and I seem to have similar problems in this area - we try too hard to be all things unto all men. But I'm not all things. Many things I am, like goofy, musical, cheerful, and obliquely intelligent, but I haven't arrived at that distant finish line of everything. Being a slow runner, it might take me some time, too.
Paul had an incredible  amount of responsibility for nurturing the early church and preaching the gospel beyond his own corner of the world. He also had help - good apostles, branch leaders, companions, and fellow disciples. His dedication to preaching the Word to all people is nothing short of miraculous - and he was wonderfully good at being able to associate with all kinds of people. He came from a Jewish background, so he could teach in a way that the Jews could understand. He put himself in others' shoes - taking time to teach the outcasts, the imprisoned, and the weak. In many ways it's because of his desire to be all things unto all me that his mission was so strong. But he learned how to delegate, how to prioritize, and perhaps one of the most important things - to take a break every once an a while. I can really learn from his example.

1 comment:

Becky Dayton said...

I don't know how you do it all! I'm glad last night you took a break for a little while. "Girl names her suitcase. Crackpot."